Thursday, December 8, 2011

David's Christmas Story Moment

  
From the movie "The Christmas Story"


Today was the special Christmas Carols program by Gabriel's preschool class so I came prepared to get stuff done between drop off and the program.  Seventeen month old David was bundled up for the 30 degree weather in a sweater and thick sweater hooded coat and knit cap.   When I hoisted him out of the car he was determined to carry his lunch box.  On the way in I had David's hand in my right hand and my left arm was full of purse, books for work and David's backpack.  So we began the trek from the parking lot to the church.  Halfway to the sidewalk, we are crossing the lane of traffic of other parents arriving when David trips.  I manage to keep him from hitting the pavement by holding his arm.  But he dangles mid-way (still holding his lunch box) and makes zero attempt to stand up again.  My go-with-the-flow child decided it was too difficult to try and stand up with all of the layers he had on and would just lay down.  In the middle of the parking lot.  My left arm is full.  I cannot lift a 28 pounder with one arm.  Not when he WANTS to lay down in a lounging position in the street.  Cars were beginning to pile up as they waited for me to drag his lifeless body out of the way.  But I knew someone would call CPS if I resorted to pulling him by the hood.  So I squatted (wearing boots by the way) and managed to get my arm half way around his middle and I hobbled us to the sidewalk where Gabriel stood patiently waiting.  And Gabriel was probably wondering how David gets away with stuff like this.  So it begins, my eldest child.  So it begins.

My embarrassment and frustration were replaced with laughter by the time we got inside.  Because if we can't laugh at ourselves, well, that's just no fun at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment