Friday, March 18, 2011

The Era of Legos!


Nana was in town this week for a few days during her spring break.  We had a movie night with Madagascar, hit up the Fort Worth Zoo and shopped at the Lego store.



Gabriel thought the penguins in Madagascar were hilarious.  He showed he already has that male sense of humor as he laughed at things I know my husband, brothers and dad think are funny and I just don’t get. (Don't get me wrong, I laughed plenty b/c its a great movie! We just laughed at different parts.)

At the zoo we waded through crowds of spring breakers while I inwardly swore to avoid the zoo during school breaks forever more.  (I admit, as a SAHM with a baby and a preschooler I am VERY spoiled by having public places to myself during the week.)  While there we met a bird that began “yelling” at Gabriel.  He thought it was pretty cool that the bird was talking to him!




After seeing the baboons play ...um....er....."leapfrog", watching a lion roar and have his morning constitutional, we finished off our trip with some Dippin’ Dots (which Gabriel remembered from our last visit with Daddy in September and specifically requested) and called it a successful and fun day.  Both boys were exhausted and fell asleep in the car on the way home.  I just hope Gabriel doesn't think its ok to "go" outside since he has seen dogs AND lions do it now.

I think for Paul and I the highlight of Nana’s trip was the Lego store.  Nana bought Gabriel his first REAL legos.  Not mega blocks or duplo but real legos with more tiny pieces in one small set (100+ pieces) than the average Barbie has accessories.  One dragon eye is smaller than a Barbie cell phone or bracelet!  Baby David was immediately drawn to these exciting new toys partially b/c they are Gabriel’s (and therefore “cool”) and partially b/c we told him “no”.  =)  My 3 ½ year old seemed suddenly so much older while carefully building and playing with the castle and repair truck (because every castle needs a cherry picker to fix the street lights).



While seeing my first baby grow up is somewhat sad, it is exciting to see him big enough for “big boy toys”.  I remember many hours of building legos with my brother and Paul had filled a large box by the time he outgrew them.  But as we have ALL been playing with Gabriel’s new toys I realized there are some things you don’t outgrow.  So while The Era of Legos has begun for Gabriel, it has just continued for Paul and I.  Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to help build a horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment